So I've finally done it. I am officially a cloth diaperer. I have a friend out here near Irma, AB who cloth diapers her son and after many questions and a bit of number crunching I took the plunge and purchased a sample system for Flip cloth diapers. And to my surprise.... I actually like using cloth diapers!
I know, I know! Many of you are shocked and I have gotten a few "Why would you do that!?" (including from my dear husband). I thought I may be crazy at first too but there are many benefits to cloth.
First of all it will save us a load of money! (Most would say to Be Green, save the planet, etc... but hey I'm Dutch. It's in my blood!). I figured I can purchase a stash of diapers for around $300. Yes its a bit much to start with but I figured I was spending 50-60 a month on disposables. Therefore I will pay for the cloth diapers within a max of 6 months. Matthias is 6 months, it will be paid back by the time he is 1. If he is anything like Jil and refuses to be potty trained we will get at least 18 month worth of savings for him and since I bought one size diapers, future children will be diapered for free!
You may argue about water consumption, specific detergent and other costs (just wanting to buy that cute new cloth diaper) but I do so much laundry anyways I won't even notice the extra load every 2-3 days, I found a cloth diaper safe, high efficiency washer safe, DIY detergent that has been working GREAT and for $15 will probably get me through a year of diaper laundry.
Second, I think it is better for my baby. Who doesn't want their bum to be able to breathe?! That sounded weird! But you get my point. Also I've read (from possibly uncredible resources but it still makes you think) that your baby's skin absorbs an insane amount of chemicals from disposable diapers. Gross! and i don't think it can be good for them.
Third, it is greener. It takes 1 cup of crude oil to produce 1 disposable. It does take energy and materials to make cloth diapers but I can reuse them for years! Also disposables take centuries to decompose. Landfills are full enough and I want to do my part in helping out!
Fourth, they are stinkin' cute and my baby's bum is stinkin cute in them!
So call me crazy! I like cloth diapers and I'm sticking with them. Also Jeff is even coming around too!

No comments:
Post a Comment