It all started Wednesday night at about 11:30. We were finally crawling into bed and we hear a tap, tap tap somewhere. I figured it was our little man kicking the crib rails as he often does and sort of dismissed it. Suddenly I ask Jeff "Did you shut the cats in for the night?"
(Footnote, our vagabond cat, Bucko, formerly known as Cleo who belonged to our neighbor but decided our house was more suitable for her needs, had 6 kittens a week ago. We set up a nice little box in the garage for her to have the kittens but of course she had them in the rose bushes which Jeff had to hack back to retrieve the kittens and but them and the momma in the garage. We want these kittens handled and tame so that we can give them away. As everyone should know I don't like cats and would have NEVER thought i would have one, let alone 7!)
Jeff "No, I'll go do it now" As he is getting dressed i ask "Do you smell skunk?"
Jeff "No". Me "I think I smell skunk"
Jeff heads outside.... "Whoa, I smell it now!"
As I lay in bed, I hear Jeff talking in the garage and I worry he's becoming a little too attached to the kittens.
Front door opens "Beth, I'm going to need your help!"
Our poor, already mangy cat has been sprayed by a skunk who wandered into the garage for a bite of cat food and heroically saved her kittens from it's attack. Unfortunately the skunk got scared when Jeff came in and has hidden itself into the back of our garage.
After removing the kittens, cat, and car from the vicinity (all items have smelt better) Jeff starts throwing things in the general vicinity of the skunk to scare it out but it just makes him scurry farther back. We open all the doors in the garage to try air it out and give the skunk more escape options and Jeff goes around the back of the garage, banging on the walls to scare it out. Nothing is working. We wander around for a good 10-15 min thinking of attack plans that will not result in Jeff getting sprayed! (Let's be honest, I am such a chicken and stayed so far back I was NEVER in any danger whatsoever of getting sprayed, my husband is my hero, my protector and my manliest man!) Finally the idea. "I'll fight spray power with spray power!" Thank you 75 foot garden hose and ultra powerful jet setting on the nozzle! 2 minutes later
After all that we got the enjoyable job of giving the cat a bath. Thanks to google I found a good skunk odor reducing recipe:
1 Liter peroxide
1/2 C baking soda
a generous squeeze of dish soap.
Mix well and lather up whatever skunk victim you may have. rinse off and repeat if needed.
No Tomato juice for us! And they say it doesn't work anyways.
Bucko took it well (again Jeff did all the work, I am such a pansy) but looked like such a drowned rat after. Needless to say we were so ready for bed after that!
I so wish i had a least one picture of that skunk because for all you know I was just really bored today and made this all up. Although I would refer you to our car if you want proof!
No comments:
Post a Comment