September 26, 2012

Oh Buck-O

 
I must tell you the story of Buck-O, our mangy, mouse killer, adopted cat. It all started October 31, 2011. I was home with newborn Matthias while Jeff took Jil out for some trick or treating fun. Suddenly I hear a meowing. Creepy, I thought. Some random cat showing up on my doorstep on Halloween. And there she sat, on our steps meowing like crazy.
 
Anyone who knows me knows that although i may have once like cats and kittens, since becoming allergic to them around age 7 I have hated the little beasts since. They made my eyes itch and water till I wanted to claw them out and I think I can sneeze about 7 times in a row due to the little fur balls. Not my most favorite animal and this doesn't even account for their meloncholy attitudes. What is to like about a cat!
 
Anyways, I left the cat alone until Jeff returned. He gave it some food and water (first mistake) and said it would head home.
The next day, the cat was still around and we found out it was our neighours down the road. Our neighbor picked it up and took it back to their place. And like the song goes, the cat came back the very next day. Yes, it did! And it decided it live under our deck/porch addition and it has never left since (except for occasional hunting excursions but she always comes back).
 
She is acctually a good cat. She is very tolerant of Jil and Matthias and kills lots of mice, which she will occasionally display on the sidewalk for us to see as if she is trying to show off her accomplishment or something.
 
Well, at the beginning of the summer, Bucko had 6 kittens. They were cute as could be, but somehow they all disappeared while we were on vacation. Everyone around here figures a fox or maybe the tomcat took care of them! Sad for us but we moved on. Then in August i mentioned to Jeff how fat Bucko was getting and said I  thought she was preggers again. Sure enough she was.
 
Here is our fat preggo cat at the beginning of September.
 
 
She was so big and waddled so badly. I had some real pregnancy sympathy for her.
 
While the kids and I were in Lethbridge I had a dream that she had 8 kittens in the kids wagon and told Jeff about it. He laughed and said that 8 would be a crazy amount of kittens for any cat to have. WELL... the next day Jeff phones me and says "Guess what?"
I say "Buck-o had 8 kittens?"
Jeff "No, She had 9!!"
 
Whoa! So this non-cat liker is now the owner of 10 cats. What is this world coming to? Jil is in love with all the kittens. I shouldn't leave her alone with them too much though, yesterday I went in the garage to find a lot of water on the ground and Jil told me "I gave one, two, three, four kittens a bath. They were really dirty."
 
Another time I found 7 kittens in the wagon with Jil sitting beside them. She is not afraid to handle them at all!
 
If anyone is in need of a well handled kitten in about 8 weeks, give me a call!

No comments: