July 20, 2013

How we became 5!

God's love, wisedom and faithfulness astound me once again as we welcome our 3rd child into the world. I know that is shouldn't take me by surprise how my Lord knows best and allows for that in my life. I always feel I know best and then when God shows me what is best I am so humbled and thankful.

I started having contractions at noon on July 9. They were definatly stronger than my usual braxton-hicks but for sure manageable. A week earlier I had a similar feeling and did get assessed and nothing was happening so I sort of figured this would be the same thing and just decided to go normally about my day. The kids and I had a nice afternoon outside but I did have to stop about every 10 minutes for a breather.

Supper rolled around and i was contracting every 8 minutes and Jeff could see I was uncomfortable. I was supposed to go for coffee with a friend and he kept asking if I was going. I figured either this is nothing (denial) or this might be a last chance to go out by myself for a while so I better seize the opportunity. So off to town I went for a coffee, checking my phone to time contractions about every 7 minutes.

After coming home and trying to settle for bed I quickly knew that sleep was not going to happen so I tried to prep myself for a long night and next day. At 3am we called my coffee friend to come stay with the kids and off to the hospital we went. At 5am I was 5cm dilated and we knew that this was the real deal and that we wouldn't go home without our newest member.

I was GBS positive this pregnancy so the nurse got my IV and antibiotics going. Jeff and I then tried to prepare ourselves for the journey to that magical 10cm mark. I paced and swayed and breathed my way there, hoping and praying for it to all go quickly. Unfortunately it would not be like Matthias (I arrived at hospital fully dilated and gave birth quickly after) and we had to settle for the average 1cm an hour dilation rule. They offered me an epidual a couple of times but after having Matthias au natural and knowing how much easier it was to know when to push and how much more quickly I recover after I opted to give birth drug fee again. This choice earned me a few nicknames such as birthing machine or beast by the staff and I just wondered if I was just plain stupid. By noon I was nearly fully dilated but my Dr. wanted me to try "hold off" pushing for another hour if possible to make sure I was dilated and off to lunch he went! Oh I could have kicked him but being a nurse and knowing the risks and possibility of cervical tearing I tried my best to get through that hour. By 12:45 I was not having it anymore and told the nurses I needed to push and just at that moment Jeff looked out the window and told me Dr. Venter just pulled in the parking lot! I gave him a couple minutes to get his butt upstairs, gown on and according to Jeff 3 pushes later our beautiful son, Jeremiah John entered the world. Screaming, slimy, tiny and absolutely perfect.

There is no way to express the joy and relief of welcoming a healthy child into your life and heart. Even after a 3rd time the feelings are as intense as the first and I've come to realize that there is always room in my heart for more love for each of my children.

I got to enjoy a few minutes of Jeremiah resting on my chest and Jeff and I checked for all his fingers and toes and studied all his little features. Then the nurse took him and did the usual checks as well. Our little man only weighed 6lbs 5 oz! Our smallest baby yet! I suppose for being one week early it shouldn't have surprised me. Meanwhile, I got checked (no tearing...yay!!) and cleaned up and taken to the next room where we would stay for the next day or so. Jeremiah was a natural at nursing and we got some wonderful bonding time before Jeff returned with Jil and Matthias. Jil has been in love with Jer from the first moment and Matthias was intrigued by the new baby but was mostly excited to see mommy again,
Wow, our little family of 5! I would not have dreamed that this is what God had in store for Jeff and I when we got married 9 years ago. I am so thankful and humbled by His goodness.

No comments: