Since moving to the middle of nowhere, Jeff and I have started gardening. (It seemed like the thing to do in a farming community). Last year our garden was less than impressive but this year we have seemed to get a few things right.
The one thing that has gone well both years as been our peas. I love fresh garden peas so this year we doubled the amount we planted from last year.
As you can see we have a fairly good sized crop growing and I hope to get a lot of them in the freezer so that we can enjoy them throughout the winter too, although the kids have been helping themselves when they are playing in the yard so who knows how much we will actually freeze.
So you may ask what is the process of freezing peas? I did too, googled it and this is the method I use.
First of all, pick away! I don't like super large peas as I feel they lose a lot of their flavour if they grow to large so I tend to pick them a little early.
Next, shelling! I know a few people who don't grow peas because they are a little time consuming but I find shelling peas relaxing.
Now for some blanching. This is my set up. Shelled peas, pot of boiling water and bowl with colander of icey water.
Once your water is boiling, add your shelled peas and allow them to boil or blanch for 90 seconds. Remove from boiling water and put them in the ice water to shock them. After they have cooled (about 2-3 minutes) remove the colander and let them dry. Put in freezer bag, remove extra air, seal the bag and freeze.
Super easy! I did my first batch with a newborn in one arm! So get out there, get dirty and save some of that delish garden produce for later!



No comments:
Post a Comment