October 26, 2013

Who wants to Salsa!

So this year we had an abundance of tomatoes and onions in our garden and in my mind that meant one thing. I had to learn how to make salsa!

After a few searches online I found a few recipes and gave them a try.

Medium Salsa:
8 C diced tomatoes
2 green peppers diced
2 red peppers diced
4 cloves garlic minced
6 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely diced (I always wear rubber gloves when handling hot peppers)
2 C onions diced
3/4 C vinegar
1 large can tomato paste
cumin to taste
cilantro to taste

Mild salsa: (I didn't mean to make this so mild but was experimenting with red hot chili peppers)
8 C diced tomatoes
2 green peppers diced
2 red peppers diced
4 cloves garlic minced
2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely diced
2 red hot chili peppers finely diced
2 C onions diced
3/4 C vinegar
1 large can tomato paste
cumin to taste
cilantro to taste


Mmmm garden tomatoes.


My happy helper!



Put all ingredients into a pot, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20-30 min. Meanwhile, sterilize your jars and lids.
 
Carefully pour mixture into jars and process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes. Let stand for 24 hours and make sure all jars have sealed. If any haven't place them in fridge and use within 2 weeks.
 
 
I didn't have any trouble with my jars sealing. I love the popping sound when they do! Hopefully next year I can try grow bell and hot peppers of our own for these recipes!

No comments: